close
close

McLaren boss Seidl has revealed the key factors behind Piastri’s deal and said the CRB ruling was ‘not particularly surprising’

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl cites the contract recognition committee’s decision that F2 champion Oscar Piastri is free to join the team alongside Lando Norris in 2023, Seidl said. He called the duo “a very exciting driver line-up.”

The CRB signed Piastri for next season as Fernando Alonso’s replacement on August 4, ruling that Piastri is entitled to become a McLaren driver next season after a dispute with Alpine. The deal between McLaren and Piastri will be signed on July 4, 2022 and will run until the end of 2024, according to reports.

Read more: Piastri to race for McLaren in 2023 following CRB decision

“I am very happy to know that next year we will be winning the Oscars together with Lando, who has a very exciting driver line-up,” Seidl said at Sky Sports F1 in Zandvoort on Friday.

“There are two reasons why I wanted to win the Oscar. , I think he is a perfect fit for our team and that should be the main focus of the news.

“As for the Contract Recognition Board, it’s honestly never been that way for us, so it’s best to ask the other party. [Alpine] This is not a surprise to us as we thought why would they file a lawsuit. Together with Daniel and Lando, we want to finish the season with a good fight against the Alpines and focus on next year. ”

Piastri - sad.jpg
McLaren wins CRB ruling, signing reigning F2 champions for 2023

Asked why he signed a multi-year deal with Piastri, Seidl said: To get to know him, we are completely convinced of his talent and potential.

“And Oscar too…he’s young and full of energy, with the right amount of confidence, but at the same time, he’s very humble and aware of how big the challenge is for him next year.

“We are a team that has shown in the past that they can handle young players entering the sport very well, so I am looking forward to going with him next year.”

Seidl did not confirm whether Piastri would be able to run McLaren’s young drivers test after the season. Rather, he stressed that it was “important to announce” that he would be a McLaren driver starting next year, and said more plans were to be announced soon.

McLaren’s boss also added that, regarding retiring driver Daniel Ricciardo, conversations about his replacement have always been open and honest.

“Of course, I won’t go into the details of my conversation with Daniel, but over the course of the last month or last week, we always had an open and transparent dialogue with Daniel about our position in the partnership. It was important to me, yeah, it was good,” Seidl said.

“Regarding my decision with Daniel…I don’t want to say any more. I don’t need to add anything. My focus right now is to finish the season in the best possible way with Daniel. Daniel is fully committed to doing so. We are committed to doing that as a team and will shift our focus to the Oscars in the future.”

Leave a Comment