Oscar Piastri joins Lando Norris on a multi-year deal at McLaren for the 2023 season following the Contract Recognition Board (CRB) decision that the Australian has a valid contract with the team for next year. race.
The CRB said Monday in connection with a dispute over whether McLaren or Alpine had a valid contract with reigning Formula 2 champion and current Alpine reserve driver Piastri after Fernando Alonso’s move to Aston. had a meeting. In August, Martin claimed that Piastri would drive for them in 2023, only for Piastri to refute the claim.
And just before Free Practice 2 of the Dutch Grand Prix, the FIA unanimously said that the court said “the only contract that the Board will accept is the one between McLaren Racing Limited and Mr Piastri dated 4 July 2022. We have made a unanimous decision.” .
“Mr Piastri is eligible to drive for McLaren Racing Limited for the 2023 and 2024 seasons.”
READ MORE: Alonso says ‘weird feeling’ of protracted Alpine negotiations has shocked Aston switches
This tweet has been deleted from Twitter
Shortly after the ruling, McLaren confirmed that Piastri would indeed drive for the team in 2023, instead of Daniel Ricciardo, who had agreed to terms to leave McLaren at the end of 2022 ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix.
“I am very excited to be making my F1 debut with such a prestigious team as McLaren and I am very grateful for the opportunity that has been provided,” Piastri said in a statement. I look forward to working hard with Lando to push the team to the front of the grid as we prepare for our F1 debut in 2023 and focus on starting my F1 career with Papaya. is doing”
Watch: Wins, Overtakes, Double Wins – The Best Moments of Oscar Piastri’s Career So Far
McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl said: “The whole team is delighted to welcome Oscar to McLaren for the 2023 F1 season. We are confident that they will help us take another step towards our ambitions.
“There remains an important task that the team must remain focused on this season.Before that, we will ensure that Oscar is integrated into the team as soon as possible and ready for the challenges ahead.An exciting 2023 season. We look forward to working with you to prepare for.”
Meanwhile, Alpine said in response to the CRB’s decision:
READ MORE: McLaren boss Seidl reveals key factors behind Piastri deal, says CRB ruling ‘not particularly surprising’
“We believe we have resolved this issue and will soon be announcing our full driver line-up for 2023.
“The immediate focus is on scoring points in the Dutch Grand Prix and fighting for fourth place in the Constructors’ Championship.”